The Builders Association

Friday, March 20, 2009

Champagne Taste on a Beer Budget

Deb I am
Deb in the City
I'm superbad
and looking pretty.

Wow, I just cannot get over the whole paradise aspect of this part of the country. It’s like paradise improved though, with on and off ramps everywhere you’d want to go.

Was out by Escondido today and came across a window into my future. That is, if the whole stimulus package thing works out and the world economy doesn’t skewer us all and if my employer is indeed paying into my social security like he claims.

Yes, at the corner of Champagne Drive and Lawrence Welk Boulevard, is the Welk Resort and Champagne Village, where I can easily see myself in about 25 more years. OK, ten. The village has all the amenities I could want for my retirement:


the Fountain golf course, the Canyon restaurant for fine dining and a Pizza Hut for a quick breakfast. But more impressively it has a Lawrence Welk Museum, located in the lobby of the resort’s theatre!



Yes, friends, that is a giant champagne glass made out of crystal made for the 25th anniversary of the LW show’s broadcast. Speaking of broadcast, it’s possible to stand in beside the man himself and be on his show.
I’m no Lennon Sister but I’m looking forward to a bubbly, time-shared future in genteel southern Cali style.

So then I was back in town and I missed my exit but there was a pot of gold at the end of the concrete rainbow. The swap meet! Now, I’ve been to a lot of flea market, swap meet, yard sale type things and San Diego knows how to do it right.

They sell everything from 12 pairs of tube sox that say USA on them to cell phone chargers to Mexican cowboy outfits to genuine junk dragged out fo someone’s basement to Tickle Me Elmo pinatas. Amazing. I had the most delicious snack.
Watermelon, cantelope, jicima, coconut, cucumber and orange slice, served in a plastic baggy and covered with lime juice and chili powder. Que delicioso! And for only three bucks. So good.

On the way out I bought a 20 pound bag of fresh oranges for three dollars. I am really getting used to the bounty of the Golden State.

This is Deb in the City, saying adios amigos from LaJolla California, movie home to Top Gun, Some Like It Hot and Charlie’s Angels Full Throttle. I feel the need, the need for speed.

No comments:

Followers