The Builders Association

Monday, April 13, 2009

Sporting Fools

Deb in the City here. OK, not to dwell, but Columbus is crazy for sports. There is a lady football team, OK? The Columbus Comets are a pro women’s team and I can’t wait for their season to start so I can go watch Chelsea and Whitney and Ashley and Ebony dominate on the gridiron. Behold their awesomeness:But it’s not all contact sports, there is also Columbus’ native son and legend of the links, Mr. Jack Nicklaus. He has his own fantastic museum over on the OSU campus and though not directly related to the Golden Bear or his gift shop, I did notice that I can also go to my final resting place with a golf theme.This casket is called the Fairway to Heaven and even though I don’t really get golf, the thought of being buried in this makes a passion for the links burn in my heartplace. New hobby, here I come!

So today I was walking around looking at insurance company buildings (very impressive array) and I came upon this park downtown. From the street, it looks kind of regular but once I passed through the gates and walked in a bit, it was like a trip to the Louvre in Paris or something.

OK, it’s hard to tell because my lousy snapshot does not do it justice but this is a topiary recreation of the Stephen Sondheim musical, Sunday in the Park with George! Seriously! I could not believe it. It is incredible. Look at the shrubbery lady walking her shrubbery dog.
I don’t know what kind of bush clipping genius took on this beautiful notion but it is truly amazing and I think the bushes themselves speak to the majesty of this vision.

Maybe it’s just me but cenral Ohio seems to like things that are made to look like other things. Bushes that are shaped like dogs and buildings that are just amazing. This is the corporate headquarters of the Longaberger Basket Company in nearby Newark and I cannot say enough about the basket passion that made this possible. Longabergers are highly collectible, handmade baskets and they are sold through a shadowy network of 45,000 basket agents around North America. Perhaps it is possible to be buried in a human sized picnic basket, for devotees of the basket cult.

Besides a good cult, I really like a good hall of fame and the OSU campus has a couple of excellent ones. I headed over to the Fisher College of Business, wearing my buckeye necklace to blend in with the crowd, looking for the accounting hall of fame there. I was bummed to find there is no real hall with plaques and it’s just an award given to the titans of accounting. Personally, I think this is a rip-off for the winners.

Then I wandered into the Agricultural Engineering building where I found this first-rate hall of fame.
Yes, this is the Drainage Hall of Fame and it recognizes the visionaries and innovators in the field of agricultural drainage. Humble water, the giver of life, has to go somewhere after it falls out of the sky and these gentlemen have made it their life’s work to figure that out so all the rest of us don’t have to. Personally, I’m pretty happy about that because I would not know the first thing about draining a field, though I bet I could flood one if given the chance.

This is Deb in the city, saying so long from Ohio, where the state insect is the ladybug, the state rock song is "Hang on Sloopy" and the state beverage is tomato juice. And the state tree is the buckeye. But everybody knows that.

No comments:

Followers