The Builders Association

Monday, June 21, 2010

London Calling

Hiya internet. My name is still Deb and welcome back to my blog, Deb in the City.

Like most misguided people on the web, I feel I have something to say that someone else would definitely want to listen to and I have access to a high-speed connection. Plus, I just moved and instead of my usual gin-and-tonic stress management, I’m trying to cope creatively. That's called harm reduction.

As you can probably tell from my keyboard accent, I’m not from around here. And by here I don’t mean the digital everywhere of the internet but, I mean an actual place, London, England.

And by London I mean Farnborough. And by Farnborough, I mean here:


This is my home now and I like to think of it as a little slice of America, with enough garage space and pavement to give me a feeling of security, just 23 minutes by train to Waterloo.

So, I moved here to London with extensive knowledge about the place that I gathered from movie musicals like Mary Poppins, plus a television combination of Ab Fab and Helen Mirren on late night repeats of Prime Suspect. And I know, like every person who was a child in the English speaking world that London Bridge is falling down.


My first day out, with hesitation I walked across the famous span and it felt pretty solid. How long must children sing their song to get satisfaction? Keep up the optimistic singing kids, and maybe one day this reinforced concrete ode to civil engineering will obey.

After crossing and meandering for miles in the wanderers’ paradise of this massive city, I eventually found myself in an incredible shop called Original Products, the "foremost source of spiritual supplies, herbs and books". Standard holy cards and medals of saints sit side by side with blessing candles depicting more secular figures like Martin Luther King, Jr.

Another shopper in the store was trying to buy an image of Jesus:


Which looked pretty standard to me but I heard her say “in my country, this is the one that works”. I struck up a conversation with her.


She told me her name is Elliqua and that she is from Togo. Sadly the particular Jesus she wanted was not for sale.

As a nanny, in charge of a willful 8 year old, I thought Elliqua might have some tips on a special nanny charm or spell or prayer that could help me with my situation. She suggested I try an easy solution with this product, "Mano Poderosa" or "helping hand":


a quick, handy aerosol version of what is a much more complicated series of rituals to invoke divine help that my busy nanny schedule does not allow the time for.

This is Deb in the City, on the move in the Big Smoke, London England.

No comments:

Followers