The Builders Association

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Corn Update

Moe here. Evening Crop Report.

So, I was crabbing about corn, because that’s my favorite parlor game since I got here. And you know, I’m important enough in the agricultural tradition and industry of Champaign County at this point, that my opinion matters.

Turns out, corn is not just some annoying plants in a field that have been put there on purpose to drive me crazy.

I was thinking about this farmer I met at the market, Russ Roth from Morgan, IL. Here’s Russ:

Mr. Roth his son cultivate 2300 acres of field corn, along with the vegetables and sweetcorn they sold at their market stand. He sold me an Armenian cucumber, something I’d never seen. You have to peel the thing, and then it’s like a regular cucumber on performance-enhancing steroids on the inside:



OK, not to dwell but this thing was huge:



And it tasted like a cross between an American cucumber and a honeydew melon.

Mister Roth shucked a piece of his corn right there and made me try it, raw. Which I did and it was as he promised, the sweetest I’d ever tasted. Then he paid me probably the nicest compliment I've had in a while. He asked me if I was a farm girl. Who ever thought I’d be flattered by that question, but I was.

No comments:

Followers