The Builders Association

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Modern Troy

Hello internet! You have clicked on Deb in the City, the official blog of me, Deb.

Deb in the City is my desperate-cry-for-help coping mechanism. I have recently moved to a new place and I’m trying not to freak out (too late). Thanks for tuning in to my cheerful display of adjustment.

OK, can’t say I saw this one coming but I now live in Troy. No, not ancient Troy over in modern Turkey but modern Troy over in upstate New York. I can’t believe I am here. First of all, I get to live in this incredible house.

Look at the tree in the front yard. Isn't it brave?

OK, to be honest, this house is not in Troy proper. It’s a little north of the city in a beautiful community with a name all its own.



Yes, Sheldon Hills at Halfmoon is where I really live. It has an incredible clubhouse and basically, you get a whole lifestyle when you buy a house at Sheldon Hills at Halfmoon. It’s gated community living, minus the actual gates.

Troy is what the guidebooks like to call a gem of a Victorian city. But, where is Troy’s ancient past? Where are they hiding the horse full of sneaky Greeks? I poked around town but found nothing but a few Grecian columns here and there. Then, I stumbled upon the Parthenon, over at the Russell Sage College.

And in much better shape than the ancient one plus, it has air conditioning and central heat. The modern Trojans are an industrious people and I’m thinking of capitalizing on the name myself and starting "Trojan Nanny: child distraction services".

Give a call and a giant My Lil’ Pony appears on your lawn and once the children are mesmerized, I am deployed from within to wreak nanny calm within your walled citadel.

This is Deb in the City, saying so long from inside the belly of a horse. But a horse with very, very pretty hair.

No comments:

Followers